Ready To Help You Resolve Your Employment Law, Criminal Defense Or Personal Injury Case

Steps To Filing A Sexual Harassment Claim

If you have been sexually harassed at work, it’s important to make it stop immediately. However, if you have complained to management but conditions haven’t changed, there are alternatives available to you.

The following are ways to file a sexual harassment claim if incidents continue to persist after you initially report them at work:

  • File a Title VII Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) claim: Contact either the EEOC, a Texas equal employment opportunity agency or a department of human rights. Your claim must be in writing, state the facts of your claim and be filed within 180 days of the harassment incident. Letter submission is available, while agencies accept complaints by email as well. The agency will contact you for more information.
  • File a Title IX complaint: If you are employed at a school, college or university that receives federal funding, you are able to file a complaint with the United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR). Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 protects all institutions receiving any federal aid or assistance for both employees and students. The OCR will then conduct an investigation into your claim. However, you may also pursue your Title IX complaint directly in court.
  • File a sexual assault and/or abuse claim: If your incident consists of unwarranted touching of the genitals or breasts or threats of physical sexual abuse or other violence, you may be able to pursue criminal charges.

I am Houston employment attorney Chukwudi “Chuck” Egbuonu. If you’re not sure what course of action to take, I understand what it takes to resolve your claim once and for all in order to get your life back to normal. At Egbuonu Law, I have prosecuted and obtained significant settlements in various employment and business litigation cases, and I possess an extensive knowledge of the Texas legal system to get you the justice you deserve.

Contact my firm online or by calling 713-966-6085 and schedule your complimentary consultation today.